RSS

Song Meaning - Way With Words

Filed Under: Labels:
It can be really funny how some songs get "over-analyzed" by fans because they desperately want a stronger meaning and depth involved in their lives. The Beatles and their fans is probably a good example of that.

My dad is actually a huge Beatles fan and owns a large collection of books that talks about this subject in great detail. (Not to mention that he was once Paul McCartney in a Beatles tribute band)

But in these volumes, they brush on the same idea. Everyone was so overwhelmed with the talent, diversity, and sudden fame of the Beatles that everyone just assumed the band's tunes must have contained powerful, deep, and almost messiah-like meanings.

You know what those books say?

The Beatles have said things similar to "Sometimes we just picked things that rhymed well."

That cracks me.

I just thought that I would share my interest with that special piece of history. It doesn't really have to do with my lyrics since they HAVE meaning behind them in this instance, but it's funny to think about.

So let's talk about Way With Words. You can check out the lyrics here:

Way With Words Lyrics

I like to use personification sometimes with my lyrics and this is one of those times.

Yea, personification. Look who was awake during high school English.

When I'm saying the line "She's got a way with words, but I'll never follow", the "she" is what's being personified.

OK, so you're probably asking "What the heck is the 'SHE' then?"

"She" can be anything that you are reluctant to conform to. At least that's what I meant it to be.

The real meaning behind this tune is "Whatever you do in life, stand out." Be a person, be an individual, and be proud of who you are.

And no, this isn't an Oprah special.

I just feel that a lot of people that fraternize with are generally unhappy with their place in the world mainly because they fear standing out and being recognized as an individual.

But you know, sometimes, you just gotta step out of your comfort zone, be yourself, and follow your beliefs.

I would hate to die thinking that I never expressed myself honest to my beliefs and personality. Wouldn't you?

When I have the gang vocals singing, "You can't fight me on your own!", I meant this as a representation of how strong you can truly be when you have a passion that identifies you as an individual. It empowers you like adrenaline and makes you feel almost invincible.

And the words, "I know I just keep on breaking these bottles, but I'm still craving the burn when I swallow", are metaphorical about how the thing you're trying to separate from usually is a struggle to beat.

I thought imagery of alcoholism would set off some emotions here.

I find myself thinking too often about the things in my life that have a "way with words" and are trying to get me to follow blindly.

Comments? Leave 'em below.

| edit post

0 Responses to "Song Meaning - Way With Words"