RSS

Secret and Whisper's Teenage Fantasy Review

Filed Under: Labels:
3 out of 5

Secret and Whisper hooked me in as a fan about 3 years ago and it all began when I heard their demo version of the song Vanishings which was later released on their debut album, Great White Whale. (Debut under the new name of Secret and Whisper) Their power, guitar hooks, and hilarious YouTube videos were all the convincing I needed to patiently wait for the release of their record.

So, going into this review regarding their newest post hardcore release, Teenage Fantasy, I've admitted that I'm a current fan, but I truly attempted to analyze this album as an impartial listener with a set of clean ears to the group. However, my familiarity with their previous release and its awesomeness allows me to give some helpful input to other current SAW fans.

First Impression

Secret and Whisper's first track hits hard and gets your attention from the very beginning. If they weren't signed to a label and I owned a production company, I would be mailing them some contracts.

The drums shine through spectacularly with intricate rhythms all at a commanding pace that really sets the tone for the album, but melody hooks from the Secret and Whisper vocalist, Charles Furney, were not as abundant as before. The release isn't breaking new ground, but it'll still singe the shelves with the other post-hardcore releases.

Whistle Test

Unfortunately, this did not pass the whistle test for me and I'm just as disappointed as you are. (If you're a loyal Secret and Whisper fan) I found myself walking around hours after listening to the album for the first time without a single melody flowing through my lips. (Let alone involuntarily)

Multiple Listens

After listening to Teenage Fantasy at least twice, the songs began to make much more sense and I was gaining a better appreciation of the album. Secret and Whisper's tunes don't have as obvious of melodies as I had hoped, but they began to grow on me the second time around.

Current Fans

For those that are already fans of Secret and Whisper, you can sleep soundly knowing that the boys have cut another powerhouse record that'll occupy your music player for awhile. Just don't let too much wax accumulate on your ear buds from all that listening.

Bottom Line

Secret and Whisper have done it again, but may have lost that "first-album magic". After a few listens I was definitely without hesitation to say that I like the record and it delivers a typical post-hardcore sound that frequent listeners will appreciate right alongside their copies of Saosin and Emery.

Here's a video from their last album, Great White Whale. The song is called XOXOXO.




| edit post

0 Responses to "Secret and Whisper's Teenage Fantasy Review"