RSS

Aaron Quit Underoath - What Does This Mean For The Band?

Filed Under: Labels: ,
Today at work, my buddy Justin from the full band that I was a part of, Wake the Lion, alerted me to the fact that Aaron Gillespie, the enthusiastic drumming lead-singer of Underoath has decided to leave the band. Here's the official statement from the group:

We are taking this opportunity to sadly inform you the six of us have decided at the end of the current european tour, Aaron will no longer be playing in Underoath. This was not a decision made in haste but a thought out and prayed upon group agreement. It in no way effects any of the shows left on this tour. They w...ill still be our best efforts and enjoyable experiences for all.

For the future, Aaron will be pursuing other musical and ministry endeavors. As for the rest of us we will continue to work hard on the new Underoath record. We appreciate the love and support from everyone in the past and hope that all of us will continue to receive your support on our future paths. We love you guys. Tim, Grant, Aaron, James, Chris, and Spencer

I'm assuming that Aaron left to pursue things with his new band The Almost, but I could be wrong. All I know is that my favorite album by them will always be "They're Only Chasing Safety" and Aaron's hooks are really what made that record great.

What do you think of Aaron leaving? What do you think he'll do now? What do you think Underoath will become without him?

| edit post

2 Responses to "Aaron Quit Underoath - What Does This Mean For The Band?"

  1. kevin Says:
  2. i stumbled upon your post while i was searching online for the answer myself. I'm pretty pissed, he literally made the band unique in the hardcore scene with his brilliant voice and stellar drumming. As strange as it is I don't think it will affect the Underoath record. They have been gradually moving towards a very experimental, dark sounding, alternative rock enclosed in hardcore genre, and as Spencer's vocals have been constantly improving, I think they will still pull off a sweet record.

    As for Aaron, I feel that its all up in the air at this point. The Almost made a pretty solid album but i would assume that he would also be moving into a more experimental side of his music. I wouldn't be surprised if he teamed up with Kenny from Person L and The Starting Line, they've played together in the past and the combination of those two could be pretty interesting.
  3. HonestKyle Says:
  4. Kevin,

    That's really interesting to know. I didn't have any idea that he was involved with anyone from the Starting Line. Hmmm.

    I really see the progression of Underoath as you've described it as well. Much more into the unexplored abyss of music as opposed to the hooks and easy-listening of "They're Only Chasing Safety."

    I'm still psyched to hear their next creation and definitely awaiting Aaron's next step in the industry.