RSS

Our Last Night: We Will All Evolve Review

Filed Under: Labels:
4 out of 5

Our Last Night is one of those bands that I followed before they really took off and were signed to Epitaph records. It was an interesting time to see that emergence since they had just released a demo/first take of their song "Escape" and then the next day, their Myspace page was completely redone and they were in the luxury of record label society.

However, listening to their previous album, "The Ghosts Among Us", I wasn't really sucked into their sound like I was hoping. The two singles they had from that one, "Recovery" and "Escape" were both stuck in my head extensively, but the rest of the album didn't leave much of a dent for me.

As for their newest album, "We Will All Evolve", I think that Our Last Night really put some maturity into this one and as a result, it's become a new favorite of mine.

First Impression


Right out of the gate, I was impressed because, first of all, Trevor, the lead vocalist, isn't a kid any more. He actually jokes about this in a studio update video. I don't remember which one, but here's a link to the first one and then you can search from their if you truly wish.

But he really unleashes hell with his new matured scream. I just love it. Plus, I didn't expect the riffing and progressions to be so intricate and well-thought. Props to the musicians there.

I thought it was a great idea to put their first single, "Elephants" as their first track of the album because it really grinds and opens your eyes to a new way of putting together screams, clean vocals, and strong melodies that reminds you of the first time you may have heard "They're Only Chasing Safety" by Underoath.

Whistle Test


Oddly enough, it wasn't "Elephants" that was stuck in my head, but the chorus to "The Devil Inside You". Right now, you can hear that track on their Myspace. I found it very strong and I probably annoyed the bajesus out of a few of my coworkers at the office with all of my humming.

Later, I found that as I would listen to the album and have to end on any certain song, that would be the tune that was easily hummable throughout the day. They definitely passed the whistle test as far as catchy melodies goes.

Multiple Listens


It was a plain delight to hear this album over and over again. Sometimes I'll have to force myself to listen to CDs multiple times to get that feel and maybe push myself into a general acceptance of their music. I try to give everyone a chance.

In this instance, I found myself feeling quite guilty that I was listening to this album so much while neglecting my other new ones. Sorry Four Year Strong and Norma Jean.

Oh, and I should mention that I found the lyrics quite good. Who knew that Matt Wentworth could come up with some great concepts for for each song? Check out "Deceiver". It's cute. In a good way.

Current Fans


If you're a current fan, you'll probably think it's the best thing since sliced bread since Our Last Night not only carried over their previous style, but significantly improved upon it. They took similar ways of creating melodies with power chords and using 5ths and 4ths with the vocals and just put it down this production line to pump out catchy tune after catchy tune.

Bottom Line


For fans of the typical screaming and singing genre, take a listen to this. However, it's not one of those albums that aims to please the flat-brimmed hardcore dancers with transitions that lead into obvious, slow, and spacey break-downs.

"We Will All Evolve" is an album that was written to add to the list of "true musical composition". Not to give testosterone-driven mosh monkies something to do. However, they'll most likely get their fill off of this anyway. Congrats to Our Last Night for making a killer album.

| edit post

0 Responses to "Our Last Night: We Will All Evolve Review"